How do you make our customers happy?
Bol.com wants to transform retail to make daily life simpler for 13 million customers. With some 34 million products on display, we are the most popular online retail platform in the Netherlands and Belgium. And when we say ‘platform’, we mean it. Over 47,000 external partners – and counting – enrich the product base. Data-driven and adventurous (making mistakes is no biggie, as long as the learnings are shared), we intend to deliver on our promise to make life easier for our customers. And that is exactly what our 900 tech professionals (25% internationals), who comprise 180+ autonomous Scrum teams, do.
The biggest challenge
For bol.com, customer happiness is not a bonus; it’s a core ‘product’. Delighting customers is a strategic choice! But what are the main drivers of customer happiness? And how do we smartly and scalably share those insights with business colleagues and 47k partners? These are crucial questions the Customer Happiness team seeks (and crunches data) to answer. We want to understand what makes customers (un)happy by recognizing patterns in customer questions and Net Promotor Scores (NPS). We translate these insights into recommendations that enable internal colleagues and external partners to improve their business processes. Challenging work, because having access to a huge amount of data means ‘the answers are out there’, but it often takes considerable sleuthing to distill them. We can (and do) occasionally get away with ‘simple’ aggregations and data visualizations, but we increasingly rely on intricate (machine-learned) text mining models. So we could really use your particular brand of expertise!
Your responsibilities as Machine Learning Engineer
Although our business model may sound familiar, our approach to network retailing sets us apart from the usual suspects. So much so, that while we applaud the achievements of other international platforms, we don’t necessarily consider them our peers. We opt for a more localized approach (up close and personal!), and our ways of working reflect our idiosyncratic DNA. At bol.com, it’s all about autonomy and taking ownership: end-to-end responsibility is the norm. As Machine Learning Engineer, you play a pivotal role in a multidisciplinary team that also includes a product owner, a data scientist, and a data engineer. You will need to dive deep into your Computer Science and Data Engineering knowledge to maximally support the creation and improvement of Machine Learning and Data Science applications. Together with your colleagues, you will design systems to process large data sets intelligently and scalably. You will also team up with data scientists to understand which data is needed to train and evaluate the models. As for the stack, familiarity with Python, Kubernetes, Gitlab, Gitlab CI/CD, Bigtable, BigQuery, Kibana, and Prometheus is a must. If you are keen to discover PyTorch, Tensorflow, and the AI platform, that would be a big plus.
- Develop an in-depth understanding of business problems and recommend optimal data science solutions
- Decide how (and how often) models need to be trained, tested, and deployed
- Automate the entire workflow and productionalize models in the Google cloud
- Set up, monitor, and enhance the compute infrastructure
- Optimize models and data pipelines through data engineering (e.g., storage)
- Version (e.g., with git) and monitor trainings/predictions
- Develop clean, high-performant, and scalable applications that allow us to continuously improve the visitor experience
- Uphold and promote good engineering practices, share responsibility for application quality and devise further improvements
- Experiment with cutting-edge tooling – including tooling you add to the stack
- Help with prototyping and setting up bleeding-edge AI applications.
3 reasons why this is (not) for you
- - No interest in Machine Learning No, if you are a fanatical code warrior with little interest in Machine Learning or Data Science
- - Coaching and convincing is something that is scary for you No, if you break out in a cold sweat when you have to coach, convince and align people
- - Agile working isn't for you No, if you’re as agile as Mount Kilimanjaro #I-move-4-nobody
- + Working together with Data Science Yes, if getting up close and personal with data scientists sounds intellectually stimulating
- + Cutting-edge technologies Yes, if you love to work with cutting-edge natural language processing technologies in a production environment
- + Python experience Yes, if you have in-depth Python experience and know-how to bring Machine Learning models to production
Where you’ll work
At the premier online retail tech platform in the Netherlands and Belgium. A platform where more than 13 million customers can choose from over 34 million articles. A platform that helps roughly 47,000 commercial partners run their businesses. And a platform that will never be ‘finished’, because bol.com has been reinventing retail since 1999 and we always will be. If there’s a better way to do something, we’re working on it! Together with about 2,400 colleagues. The setting? Think ‘campus’, including a game room and soccer field. Despite our size, we don’t believe in inflexible rules and strict organizational hierarchies. We’re a market leader that doesn’t behave like a stuffy corporate. Promise.
It is our responsibility to enable an environment that unleashes the power of diversity.
Perks of having a blue heart
The culture and the officeOur colleagues work hard to make the daily lives of our customers easier and more fun. But of course, we do this in an inspiring and creative environment!
On and offAt bol.com we understand like no other that you have to take care of yourself first, then your environment and then bol.com. In that order. Therefore, everyone at bol.com receives 29 days of vacation.
RelocationBol.com wants to ensure that you make the best possible transition. We offer relocation assistance to the Netherlands from the moment you have the job.