How do you make our customers happy?
Bol.com is changing retail to make everyday life easier for 13 million customers. We are joined on this mission by 48,000 partner sellers who offer our shared customer base additional relevant propositions. Our combined assortment now spans ~34 million products. And that number is growing. It’s up to you to facilitate and accelerate this growth and ensure our 48k partners become even better equipped to serve our customers. How? The key to success is having access to the correct data at the right place and time. Can you ‘deliver’ that?
What you do as Product Architect Data
Bol.com wants to become a fully data-driven platform. Where people and systems leverage data to consistently make the right decisions for customers, partners, and colleagues alike. For example, by devising and implementing a pricing strategy based on real-time market developments and purchase volumes, so that we price our products competitively. Or by providing recommendations that help to make partners more successful platform entrepreneurs. And by devising more efficient routing strategies for our warehouses so colleagues can make optimum use of their time.
As Product Architect Data, you are a (welcome) member of a large, self-steering product team in which IT and business professionals work side-by-side. You are the data architecture expert and counsel colleagues on a strategic level to ensure we continue to meet product targets and maintain our rapid pace of innovation. You sign off on an architecture that helps us realize our platform ambitions. This is a role with substantial impact, particularly for our 48k platform partners, as your work determines the level of success they can achieve. You are a member of the data technologies leadership team, together with product and engineering managers. Your shared goal: to stimulate and facilitate data-driven decision-making and innovation.
- Create an ambitious vision for data technologies with business and IT colleagues, including data scientists, analytics experts, BI specialists, and management
- Based on this vision, determine how our landscape should evolve
- Translate abstract (‘high level’) business requirements into clever and effective innovations
- Design a data governance policy and set up experiments that demonstrate today how your policy will pay off in the future
- Have the right discussions - yes, sometimes heated - with the right colleagues
- Win the trust of key decision-makers and provide (un)solicited advice on data product-related issues
Why you can make the difference
Because you are a visionary and pragmatic Product Architect who can look ahead without losing sight of our current position. You strike the right balance between competing priorities (e.g., maintainability, data correctness and completeness, compliance, and findability). As well as how to create and implement impeccable standards. And you always provide solutions that truly benefit internal data professionals / data scientists and external business partners. I.e., solutions that solve issues without introducing new ones.
Stakeholder management, leadership, and powerful communication skills are essential. As is the audacity to question the status quo. You strive to realize your ideas and operate from a foundation of relationships rather than authority. You can maintain a clear overview of ongoing and planned initiatives and foresee how decisions will impact the application landscape. You are self-starting and sure-footed in a dynamic environment in which hierarchy and responsibilities can be fluid concepts. You are creative and flexible in choosing how (e.g., through presentations or IT architecture designs) to best convey your message. A technical / IT consultancy background is not a requirement but would make for a good match. Analytical and conceptual capabilities are essential. As are genuine enthusiasm and an entrepreneurial spirit. You should also be a strategic thinker with an affinity for implementing projects: the journey is just as valuable as crossing the finish line.
3 reasons why this is (not) for you
- - You don’t need feedback No, if you think developing and implementing a vision is a solo activity; external input would only distract you
- - You are a framer at heart No, if you consider a day without traditional architecture frameworks and tools (e.g., TOGAF and Archimate) a day not fully lived
- - You are authoritarian No, if you believe architects should appeal to their authority to set the direction for others
- + You know your data Yes, if you bring a master’s degree, application & data modeling, and application & data landscape optimization experience to the table
- + You deal in clarity Yes, if you can make the complex lucid
- + You are energized by others Yes, if enthusing and convincing people gives you energy
Where you’ll work
In this role, you’ll work together with the leadership team of product and engineering managers. All told, approximately 50 business and IT colleagues work on this product across eight innovation teams. These teams develop and maintain their software autonomously, per the DevOps philosophy. You work closely with the Domain Architect and participate in bol.com’s central architecture team. Here you can share and calibrate your ideas with a large group of colleague architects. As Data Architect, you help advance bol.com’s technological frontline by thinking up solutions today for the data challenges of tomorrow, and beyond.
It is our responsibility to enable an environment that unleashes the power of diversity.
Perks of having a blue heart
BonusThe bonus is calculated at the end of the year and we always end it with a fun party!
On and offAt bol.com we understand like no other that you have to take care of yourself first, then your environment and then bol.com. In that order. Therefore, everyone at bol.com receives 29 days of vacation.
The culture and the officeOur colleagues work hard to make the daily lives of our customers easier and more fun. But of course, we do this in an inspiring and creative environment!