How do you make our customers happy?
Bol.com has about 13 million customers in the Netherlands and Belgium. We try to offer each of them a relevant and user-friendly shopping experience on the bol.com website and our popular iOS and Android apps. We can certainly offer enough choices with an assortment of over 46 million products. 😉 But how can we help customers narrow those options down, so they don’t feel like they’re looking for a needle in a haystack? And how can we ensure the customer fully understands if a specific product meets their needs, so they can click on the buy button with confidence? In this (literally) highly visible role, you maximize product confidence and help customers make the right buying decision every time.
What you’ll do as Product Designer Decide to Buy?
In this role, you zoom in on pages and features that help customers compare, understand, and buy products. Join your team on a mission to inspire consumer confidence by making every buying decision the right one. Make it as easy as possible for customers to reach their decision and feel good about clicking the buy button. One key to success is creating a relevant experience. Product pages shouldn’t just fill in a few details for connoisseurs; they should help all customers form accurate and complete opinions. What sets a product apart? What are its main advantages, and what are its weak points? Discover what drives product confidence and provide customers with the information they need.
What elements should we feature or leave out? And what quantitative or qualitative insights should we base those decisions on? Represent the customer and initiate user studies with your colleagues to accurately determine what drives confidence, specifically from a UX and UI perspective. In addition to wrangling with the gigantic assortment and diving into consumer psychology, you also manage the constant balancing act between long-term and short-term interests. You won’t always have time to explore topics in-depth; we often need you to think on your feet and base decisions on (still) incomplete data. But you will never be on your own: you can always fall back on team members (the Product Owner, a Business Analyst, and Software Engineers) and two colleague Designers. Ensure consistency by working together, aligning your approach, and (especially) inspiring each other. You are also a member of our design community, where everything revolves around sharing knowledge and experiences. For example, participate in ‘Show & Tell’ sessions to give colleague designers your feedback or to gather insights for your own projects!
- Work with the Strategic Product Designer to hammer out your vision and strategy, for example, with prototypes in Figma, by setting up explorations, conducting customer research, and presenting your findings persuasively.
- You develop concrete designs for pages/functionalities, validate designs with customers, run experiments, and roll them out when the front-end is ready.
- You develop your expertise in different UX patterns. For web and app, both iOS and Android. Your curiosity ensures you always find and use the best solution for every channel. To help you on your way, we’ll give you a ‘bonus device.’ If you already use an iPhone? We’ll give you an Android device. And vice versa.
- You translate experiments into visualizations with the bol.com look and feel and develop user stories for product owners to prioritize.
- You help develop more efficient modes of collaboration to advance ‘Decide to Buy’ design topics and are always receptive to experimenting with new ways of working (together).
- You contribute to the development of our design community, e.g., with fixed design elements, development sessions, and by onboarding new designers.
- You put the customer experience front and center and are our ambassador for a customer-centric and design-thinking mentality.
Why you can make the difference?
Because you’re an enthusiastic UX/UI Designer who can easily translate abstract ideas into concrete customer designs. You tackle challenges from a fresh perspective and with clever initiatives and present your approach cohesively and persuasively. You don’t confuse the team by mentioning a million tangents; you inspire team members with clear and concise options. You enjoy discovering new opportunities for the product domain, are perpetually curious, and have an open mind. And you are not only a great listener; you also know when to push back. While your track record is already impressive, you are still keen to keep growing because there is always room for improvement. And finally, you work well in teams, are wide open to feedback, and enjoy gathering collegial input. If you are the mid-level or senior designer we’re looking for, we’d love to roll out our patented blue carpet for you!
3 reasons why this is (not) for you
- - Your first idea is always right You’re a firm believer in first-time-right designs #hindsight-is-a-myth
- - You’re Captain Concept You prefer to focus on strategic/conceptual panoramas and leave the details to others
- - Your design journey is a solo trip You don’t involve others in your design process because nobody can improve on perfection
- + You are extremely customer-focused Your customer focus is always on and in overdrive
- + Your portfolio commands respect You have 3+ years of relevant UX/UI experience, at least some of which in e-commerce, which you can back up with a strong portfolio that clearly demonstrates your approach
- + You drill down from strategies to visuals You can translate strategic decisions into compelling visuals
This is where you’ll work
You’ll work in Marketing & Shopping Technologies, the innovation department that optimizes the entire customer journey, from first contact (on the site or app) to checkout. We take a multidisciplinary approach and make enabling teams a top priority.
We firmly believe in building trust and responsibility with a focus on development. The atmosphere is open and down to earth, and we are eager to experiment; we are constantly reinventing UX/UI by putting the customer in the driver’s seat. Sound good? Wow us with your inspiring application and (hopefully equally exciting) portfolio. If you’ve got it, (humbly) flaunt it!
It is our responsibility to enable an environment that unleashes the power of diversity.
Perks of having a blue heart
On and offAt bol.com we understand like no other that you have to take care of yourself first, then your environment and then bol.com. In that order. Therefore, everyone at bol.com receives 29 days of vacation.
The extra'sThis includes a telephone, training sessions, a nice lunch and possibly a lease car, if this is necessary for the performance of your job.
The new flexible workingWe bring the best of both worlds together by working 50% at the office and 50% at home. This way, we find a balance between organisational and individual needs.