How do you make our customers happy?
With 13 million customers, 129 million monthly visits and about 41 million products on display, bol.com is the most successful online retail platform in The Netherlands and Belgium. And when we say ‘platform’, we mean it. Well over 49,000 external partners – and counting – enrich the product base. Data-driven, adventurous (making mistakes is no biggie, as long as learnings are shared), we intend to deliver on our promise to make life easier and more fun for customers. And that is exactly what our IT 750+ professionals (25% internationals) do.
The biggest challenge
Although our business model may sound familiar, our approach to network retailing sets us apart from the usual suspects. So much so, in fact, that while we admire the achievements of international platforms, we don’t necessarily consider them our peers. We opt for a more localized approach (up close and personal!) and our ways of working reflect our idiosyncratic DNA. At bol.com, it’s all about autonomy and taking ownership, so end-to-end responsibility is the norm. Can you shoulder that?
As Software Engineer, you will join one of our product teams. We believe in ownership, and you will have a mandate (together with your team) to develop features end-to-end. At bol.com, we are big on autonomy, and that makes us strong: we expect you to make all (technical) choices along the way but also to assume ownership when things go awry. You build it – you run it – you love it is our mantra, and we live it every day. Every product team is part of a Fleet – every Fleet part of a Space.
As for your GPS location within the bol.com universe, check out which one you may call your (temporary, because moving between spaces is possible) home.
- Develop clean, high-performance code that facilitates and inspires over 10 million customers, 23k partners, and almost 2.000 colleagues
- Think of ways to make solutions scalable and future-proof
- Help your team grow and team up with business stakeholders to ensure that solutions add customer value
- Take full, end-to-end ownership over team solutions
- Experiment with cutting-edge technology – including technology you add to the stack
No matter the space you’ll join, your tech stack includes:
- Java (8 or higher)
- Google Cloud stack
3 reasons why this is (not) for you
- - Business concerns don’t concern you Not, because business concerns don’t concern you #letthemeatcode
- - You don't believe the Netherlands has much to offer to techies Not, because you don’t believe the land of ‘weed, windmills and wooden shoes’ has much to offer to techies
- - You want to be taken by the hand Not, because you want to be taken by the hand; autonomy & ownership are not your thing
- + You take pride in writing high quality code Yes, because you take pride in writing high quality code, and are versed in Java and (some of) ↑
- + You’re a true pioneer, Yes, because you’re a true pioneer, both when it comes to coding and technology
- + You want to team up with a market leader Yes, because you want to team up with a market leader that feels like a scaleup
Where you’ll work
As Software Engineer, you’ll join a product team you can always rely on for feedback and continuous professional growth. The setting? Think ‘campus’, including a game room and soccer field. Despite our size, we make fun of rigid rules and traditional work structures. We may be a market leader, but you won’t get a whiff of the corporate odor you associate with that. Our strength derives from working together as equals and constantly improving each other. After all, you can accomplish great things on your own, but so much more with your colleagues! Given that over 25% of our IT fleet consists of internationals – if you want the receipe for a celebratory Brazilian feijoada or want to sample authentic Greek mezze, Utrecht is the place to be – we have a lot of relocation experience. As for our ways of working, check out the videos. For info on current challenges (yep, we share code), check out our Techlab!
It is our responsibility to enable an environment that unleashes the power of diversity.
Perks of having a blue heart
On and offAt bol.com we understand like no other that you have to take care of yourself first, then your environment and then bol.com. In that order. Therefore, everyone at bol.com receives 29 days of vacation.
RelocationBol.com wants to ensure that you make the best possible transition. We offer relocation assistance to the Netherlands from the moment you have the job.
The culture and the officeOur colleagues work hard to make the daily lives of our customers easier and more fun. But of course, we do this in an inspiring and creative environment!