Do you have an unsatisfiable appetite for data?
Do you have a passion for data? Can you explain complicated models in a simple way? Then Data Science at bol.com is the right place for you! We are looking for someone with basic knowledge and interest in machine learning, who likes to work with and learn from a bunch of smart data enthusiasts and enjoys problem solving. Within a multidisciplinary team (with data scientists, engineers, business analyst and a product owner), you will tackle one of our many challenges. As part of this team, you get the chance to join their day-to-day processes. Besides your own project and thesis there is also room to work on tasks within this team which directly improve bol.com for our customers. You will work together with professionals who love to share their knowledge, allowing you to learn the ins and outs of the fast-growing market we’re in. And if your work is a success, it will be deployed, which means that your innovation will become part of our platform. In the meantime, there will be plenty of opportunities to get to know your colleagues: with (digital) drinks, gaming sessions, hackathons and monthly knowledge exchanges. No better way to kickstart your career.
What you will do
As a Data Science intern, you will work on one of the many complex challenges within bol.com. By crunching our many terabytes of data, you will investigate how this information can be used to improve our processes. Being technically well-versed is an absolute must to succeed. Together with your supervisor you will find a model-based solution to a real problem within e-commerce and a fast way to test its feasibility. We pay a lot of attention to the effective translation of results into concrete actions, implementations and/or recommendations during your internship. This will allow you to cover the complete process from challenge to solution.
We have a few positions in the following teams:
- Partner Quality: At bol.com, we want to make sure that all partners have a great experience on our platform while being compliant with our policies. We have more than 50K partners, and it is our challenge to detect and advise the partners who need to improve, as well as find ways to automate the internal partner and decision-making processes. The exact topic is open for discussion but ideally you will focus on a research project that will improve the partner quality of bol.com (e.g. detecting improvement points from text/cases/reviews, or finding a reliable quality representation 'embedding' for each partner).
- Invoicing: In the Invoicing domain, we are making sure that our financial reports are as accurate as possible and the process is intuitive and simple for our customers and partners. As part of this, we at Team SalVATor are working on a tax engine that can accurately calculate the tax rate on any given product that is sold on our platform. We are interested to see if image search and similarity can be used in order to identify similar products in tax-sense and identify the rates of products based on the similar products. There is also work using Natural Language Processing going on for the same challenge, so both would be possible options for the research project.
- Content: In the Content domain we focus on improving the quality of our product information. This enables our customers to more easily find what they are looking for, and have a more pleasant experience when shopping with us. Things we work on are: Predicting categories for products, which products belong together, and automatically filling product attributes.
What you bring along
- Preferably you study Data Science, AI, Computer Science or are enrolled in a comparable master degree program.
- Knowledge of machine learning techniques such as classification, clustering and similar. Depending on the domain: NLP or Image Processing (CNN and GAN specifically).
- Experience with programming in Python.
- Available for 4 or 5 days a week, of which 1-3 days in the office in Utrecht. For at least 4 months.
Note: For all of our internships, you have to be enrolled at an educational institution for the complete duration of the internship at bol.com. You are able to register for a regular internship, or a graduation internship.
Please send in your CV and a motivation containing information about your educational background, start and duration of your (thesis) internship, topic preference and for how many days a week you will be available.
Wij creëren een omgeving waarin we de kracht van diversiteit benutten.
De voordelen van een blauw hart
De extra'sDenk hierbij aan trainingen, een lekkere lunch, eventueel een telefoon en een leaseauto, wanneer dit nodig is voor het uitoefenen van je functie.
Flexibele werkcultuurWe voegen het beste van twee werelden samen, zodat de balans tussen organisatie- en individuele behoeften goed blijft. Dit betekent 50% werken op kantoor en 50% vanuit huis.
In de bonusAan het eind van het jaar krijg je een bonus, en dat sluiten we altijd af met een leuk feestje!