How do you make our customers happy?
Bol.com is changing retail to make daily life simpler for 12 million customers. A mission we take on with 45,000 partners that enrich our retail tech platform with attractive propositions. Combined, we offer 30 million articles and achieve peak sales of 700 orders per minute. As these numbers indicate, our platform processes a massive amount of traffic. Many of our visitors use our native iOS and Android apps, and we continuously need to scale these without incident. We have a growing number of dedicated scrum teams that happily see to this. And of course we want to enable these teams to innovate efficiently, scalably, and at the highest level. We are currently looking for a Product Owner to strengthen our team and help improve our apps. Every day in every way.
The biggest challenge
As Product Owner Technical Shop Foundation (Apps), you help an independent team of iOS, Android, and back-end developers fulfill a mission-critical role: to perfect and innovate the technical foundation of our mobile iOS and Android apps. Together with this professionally mature team, your challenge is to create, facilitate, and scale the highest possible technical quality.
Your responsibilities as Product Owner Technical Shop Foundation (Apps)
- You develop a persuasive vision for the technical foundation of our bol.com apps – and promote it as the ambassador for the KPIs, strategy and initiatives that you and your team devise and prioritize
- You actively communicate with app teams and business stakeholders, i.e., gather requirements, get buy-in, coordinate plans, and (occasionally) ask colleagues to slow down
- You adapt your style to the individual teams to ensure smooth collaborations
- You help teams attain their ambitions and support them in their way of working by giving them trust, responsibility, and autonomy when possible, and reining them in when necessary
- You make tough choices, break impasses, and own your decisions
- You reach target goals despite obstacles; you pioneer, initiate, fail and pick yourself up
- You build solid relationships with counterparts in other product domains so that you can identify and manage functional dependencies
The broad playing field adds another exciting dimension to the role of Product Owner Technical Shop Foundation (Apps). On the one hand, you’re at the helm of a very senior team that strives to shape technically enduring solutions. That calls for an in-depth understanding of ‘difficult tech’ issues, because the team looks to you for inspiration in all areas, including tech. It’s crucial that you understand your engineers. On the other hand, you coach the team and provide focus, direction, and self-confidence. How can you ensure the right issues are discussed? How can you get buy-in and traction for (sometimes rapidly changing) goals and priorities? Keep in mind that we are not an island: the technical foundation determines what our apps can and can’t accomplish – now and in the future. So getting the broader app developer community on board is very much in scope. Take the lead with your team and set the stage for organization-wide app developments.
- You ensure that app quality remains top-notch – challenging, considering the rapidly growing number of teams and developers involved
- You enable back-end systems teams to experiment and innovate independent of app developers
- You abstract complex issues, e.g., the consolidation of desperate analytics platforms
- You have a large say in setting code standards and determining the architecture of app components
Why you can make the difference?
Because your technical background makes you a credible discussion partner for developers. You effortlessly transition between strategically innovating the technical shop foundation and connecting the community. You tame chaos with structure and set the right priorities. You approach challenges with a winning combination of tech know-how, persuasiveness, and contagious enthusiasm. You enjoy sharing your vision with a large audience, inspiring developers, and connecting stakeholders. And you combine expertise as a Product Owner with a penchant for strategic thinking, and seize opportunities to boost autonomy and innovation speed. Finally, you know how to coordinate dependencies and have fun with cross-functional collaborations.
3 reasons why this is(n’t) for you
- Yes, if you can find the right balance between innovation, support, and optimization
- Yes, if you want to build a team that prioritizes initiative, trust, and freedom to experiment
- Yes, if you can resist short-term solutions that spell long-term tech debt
- No, if IT related topics make you drowsy and your passion for tech is getting threadbare
- No, if you also keep a 1.5-meter distance from complex dependencies and technical challenges
- No, if you’re secretly a loner – managing stakeholders takes a lot of energy #drainedaftermeetings
Where you’ll work
At the premier online retail tech platform in the Netherlands and Belgium. A platform where 12 million customers can choose from over 30 million articles. A platform that helps roughly 45,000 commercial partners run their businesses. And a platform that will never be ‘finished’, because bol.com has been reinventing retail since 1999 and we always will be. If there’s a better way to do something, we’re working on it! You’ll work in Shopping Core Tech, the innovation department that optimizes our entire customer journey, from first contact (website or app) to checkout. Our teams are multidisciplinary, and we are serious about enabling them to do their job well. We consider roles more important than job titles, we trust colleagues to live up to their responsibilities, and we focus on development. And yes, we have a slogan: Make it happen! Because we believe in ownership and making our own success!
Bol.com, de winkel van ons allemaal (the store of us all). This is the story we work on every day. It is our belief, that this will grow even stronger when many different people add their uniqueness to our story. We invite you to share your story with us. Because when you bring different people together, the most beautiful things will arise.
What you get
What you get
A blue and safe landingWe warmly welcome our new colleagues, so they feel home as soon as possible. During your onboarding program, we give you all the ins and outs about bol.com!
Money and more...Working at bol.com is challenging and therefore you get something in return. Besides salary, you will receive a yearly bonus, holiday allowance, holiday entitlement of 29 days, travel allowance, group insurance and more.
How it works
Carefully, we take a look at your application. Within 2 weeks you know if we invite you for an interview.
We call you to set up an interview. And since we’re already talking: feel free to ask any question you may have.
In this first interview we’ll get to know each other. We want to find out more about you. Work experience is interesting, but we also want to find out more about you as a person. Together, we’ll find out if this job is a match made in heaven.
Before the next interview we will ask you to take an online assessment. We’ll also discuss the position and your team in depth.
2 interviews are usually enough to see if it’s a match. And if you agree… well, it’s the beautiful beginning of your career at bol.com :)