How do you make our customers happy?
Bol.com is transforming retail to simplify daily life for 11 million customers. Not on our lonesome, but together with 39,000 partner sellers who enrich our platform with customer-centric propositions. Given our position – we are the preeminent retail tech platform in The Netherlands and Belgium – and the rapidly evolving e-commerce domain, we have to reinvent ourselves almost daily. Especially our technology. If we succeed in that mission, not only will our own future look bright, so will the futures of all our partners and customers.
The biggest challenge
Technology and innovation are obvious drivers of our success, but there is a ‘hidden’ third driver that needs some extra TLC: an agile approach to innovation processes. We need our processes to set the conditions for even faster innovation at scale, while safeguarding the performance of existing solutions. This requires paying more care to aligning and guiding (product) innovation. We need to do more to facilitate the dissemination of knowledge and experience, both within and across product domains. Sometimes it feels like our teams are needlessly reinventing the wheel. By effectively transitioning into a product-oriented organization, we’ll also be in a better position to ensure our long-term technical health (our capability to innovate further down the road). So we want to make up for this deficit and give all drivers, technology, innovation, and processes, the attention they deserve.
Your responsibilities as Product Tech Lead
- You work in a development team (up to 50% of your time) to forge and maintain a strong connection with the day-to-day operations. You combine this ‘feet in the mud’ role with the position of Product Tech Lead.
- You coach the team on complex technical solutions and help it make major decisions
- You safeguard the consistency of the technology stack across products and focus on the right priorities when weighing short vs. long term solutions (tech debt)
- You assist teams in defining and implementing the correct product metrics and enthusiastically promote the sharing of knowledge, insights and learnings
- You co-design and ingrain a bol.com way of working for the product domain and, together with the tech lead community, develop the bol.com framework for standards and guidelines
- You set an inspirational example when it comes to strategic (cross) product topics, such as the cloud and APIs, by collaborating with and participating in cross-product project teams
As Product Tech Lead you develop and govern the technical vision of products, maximize the synergy between product teams, and manage or otherwise contribute towards horizontal (technical) initiatives and implementations in the product domain. You focus on three key areas. Firstly, you take the lead in developing a technical vision for products and strive to optimize the delicate balance between innovation and robust, maintainable software. Secondly, you continuously encourage product teams to share their knowledge and experience. And thirdly, you align the technical community (tech leads) in order to implement horizontal initiatives for your product.
- Technical vision
Building a better product starts with a strong technical vision. Together with the teams, you make sure that innovation, operational stability and cloud cost-effectiveness go hand in hand. Business savvy is a must, because you’ll need to explicate corporate strategies to plot long-term product goals. Prioritize topics that add the most value and get stakeholders on board. You represent the technical side of the product and help shape the roadmap.
2. lmprove knowledge and experience sharing
Create synergy between colleagues and teams by facilitating the right connections at the right time. E.g. when teams can help each other overcome specific challenges. Promote and foster a sharing culture, help teams make major technical decisions, and empower teams to solve complex puzzles as autonomously as possible.
As an active member of the community, you work closely with other tech leads and (platform) teams to implement new tools, frameworks, cloud migrations, and other impactful initiatives. You represent your product and provide input and requirements to facilitate these horizontal initiatives. Spot arising opportunities and help shape new initiatives. You also assist in the implementation and roll-out phases of new solutions, frameworks and standards.
Why you can make a difference
Because you look forward to helping 3-6 engineering teams achieve their product ambitions. Your success will partly depend on being ‘one of the gang’ – you bring proven technical skills to the table, have a solid understanding of the codebase and can solve a myriad of coding issues (e.g. build, run and reliability challenges). Although you will do your fair share of coding (staying up to date is key to understanding your teams’ opportunities), the role also calls for people skills. We expect you to be easily approachable and ‘always’ available: your technical feedback is an asset and engineers love to bounce ideas off you. You also weigh in when alternative solutions face off, and help engineers pick the best option for a specific situation. You are a natural-born team player. Someone who values team achievements above personal success. And someone who does not begrudge colleagues when the spotlight shines on them.
3 reasons why this is(n’t) for you
- Yes, if you can lucidly explain complex technical topics to non-experts; you breathe code in, and clear-cut explanations out
- Yes, if you bring 5+ years of hardcore software engineering experience to the table
- Yes, if you want to work with the product owner to shape the product roadmap, and don’t shy away from reevaluating the backlog
- No, if you hate demonstrating stuff: whiteboards and presentations bore you to tears
- No, if you’re hesitant to leverage tech insights to influence strategic decision-making processes and change the course of our tech initiatives
- No, if you always want to please and be friends with everybody: if a stakeholder or team member expresses discord or dissent, you flee to the broom closet and lock yourself in
Where you’ll work
What you get
What you get
A blue and safe landingWe warmly welcome our new colleagues, so they feel home as soon as possible. During your onboarding program, we give you all the ins and outs about bol.com!
Money and more...Working at bol.com is challenging and therefore you get something in return. Besides salary, you will receive a yearly bonus, holiday allowance, holiday entitlement of 29 days, travel allowance, group insurance and more.
How it works
Carefully, we take a look at your application. Within 2 weeks you know if we invite you for an interview.
We call you to set up an interview. And since we’re already talking: feel free to ask any question you may have.
In this first interview we’ll get to know each other. We want to find out more about you. Work experience is interesting, but we also want to find out more about you as a person. Together, we’ll find out if this job is a match made in heaven.
Before the next interview we will ask you to take an online assessment. We’ll also discuss the position and your team in depth.
2 interviews are usually enough to see if it’s a match. And if you agree… well, it’s the beautiful beginning of your career at bol.com :)