How do you make our customers happy?
Bol.com is changing retail to make daily life simpler for 11 million Dutch and Belgian customers. We are joined on this mission by 39,000 partner sellers that do business on our retail tech platform. With our combined assortment of approximately 30 million articles, you could window shop for years! But what we really want, is to help our customers quickly find the perfect products for them. This might sound easy, but it does mean we have to know what those products are, preferably before customers do.
The biggest challenge
Our ambition is to truly understand customers and to know what customers are looking for. That’s what it’ll take to direct customers to the right products and provide optimally relevant information. Is that goal even possible? If you’re a member of bol.com’s largest innovation team, your answer is ‘of course!’. We’re in the business of making wishes come true. What’s more, we have the means to achieve it. The Customer Core Tech teams are staffed by ambitious product owners, business analysts, data scientists and engineers who work together to help our other teams make customer interactions increasingly relevant and meaningful.
Your responsibilities as Senior Business Analyst Best Message Cross Channel
- You are the linking pin between business stakeholders and engineers
- You analyze business requests, determine the added value and give advice how to prioritize projects
- You come up with improvement or innovation ideas yourself
- You manage and commit a large number of tech and business stakeholders
- You formulate hypotheses, experiment with and rigorously test solutions
- You develop user stories IT engineers get excited about
Together with the Product Owner, you are the liaison between business stakeholders and the scrum team. Your work starts with a thorough analysis of business requests. What problems do they think they’re trying to solve? What are the actual problems? Can we deliver solutions? And, if so, should we? To paraphrase George Orwell: all solutions are equal, but some solutions are more equal than others. For example, because they add more business or customer value. You’ll often work on business issues, but we also expect you to occasionally skinny dip in an ocean of data, go pearl hunting, and translate your new insights into your own improvement and innovation proposals. Formulate hypotheses to prove or disprove assumptions. Build proofs of concepts and set up tests. Analyze test results for ideas to further improve our services. You’ll work closely with the Product Owner in this role. Together, you inspire and support the IT teams. E.g. by developing user stories that end on a positive note. As for your projects, let us introduce you to team ‘Best Message X-channel’ (four developers, two Data Scientists, one interim Tester, a Product Owner and an interim Business Analyst), code-named BMX:
Team BMX is responsible for:
• implementing and integrating the Next Best Message Machine, which involves 3rd party technology & machine learning
• using machine learning to maintain and improve personal recommendations
• in the near future also responsible for optimizing the page layout in our store
Why you can make a difference
Because you’re a natural-born problem solver. You already know that finding the best solutions starts with asking the right people the right questions. Here we follow that up with rigorous data crunching. We embrace a hypothesis-based way of working and challenge you to come up with multiple scenarios to solve any given problem. We expect a desire to experiment, and that you are versed in setting up and conducting tests. Analytical and data crunching qualities aside, this role calls for strong communication skills as in being able to easily switch between business and IT, and proven ‘story writing’ capabilities: the clearer and more concise your stories, the happier the scum teams will be. Proactivity and strong stakeholder management qualities are also required, in combination with a goal-driven attitude and presentation skills.
3 reasons why this is(n’t) for you
- Yes, if you bring 3+ years of (Business) Analyst experience to the table
- Yes, if you know how to translate functional requirements into user stories
- Yes, if A/B testing, hypothesis-based working, analyzing results, and summarizing learnings is your cup of Earl Grey
- No, if you have limited data analysis experience, and data-driven marketing / personalization / BigQuery / Adobe Analytics is alien to you
- No, if you’ve never worked with developers and data scientists, and aren’t particularly looking forward to starting now
- No, if business concerns aren’t your concerns – if one of your proposals happens to maximize business value, that’s pure serendipity
Where you’ll work
You’ll land in Customer Core Tech, one of the innovation departments of Marketing & Shopping. We develop the innovations and technical tools that help Marketing & Shopping reach customers better and with greater focus. We’re zooming in on strategic topics, such as the Next Best Message Machine, customer attributes, customer prediction models, privacy & consent, personal recommendations, email and app messaging innovations.
What you get
What you get
A blue and safe landingWe warmly welcome our new colleagues, so they feel home as soon as possible. During your onboarding program, we give you all the ins and outs about bol.com!
Money and more...Working at bol.com is challenging and therefore you get something in return. Besides salary, you will receive a yearly bonus, holiday allowance, holiday entitlement of 29 days, travel allowance, group insurance and more.
How it works
Carefully, we take a look at your application. Within 2 weeks you know if we invite you for an interview.
We call you to set up an interview. And since we’re already talking: feel free to ask any question you may have.
In this first interview we’ll get to know each other. We want to find out more about you. Work experience is interesting, but we also want to find out more about you as a person. Together, we’ll find out if this job is a match made in heaven.
Before the next interview we will ask you to take an online assessment. We’ll also discuss the position and your team in depth.
2 interviews are usually enough to see if it’s a match. And if you agree… well, it’s the beautiful beginning of your career at bol.com :)