How do you make our customers happy?
Bol.com is changing retail to make daily life simpler for 11 million customers. A mission we take on with 39,000 partners that enrich our retail tech platform with customer-centric propositions. Combined, we offer 30 million articles and achieve peak sales of 700 orders per minute (Black Friday 2020). All of these orders need to be processed quickly and efficiently in highly mechanized warehouses. This requires miles of conveyor belts, controlled by clever IT systems. In this role, you contribute to warehousing ambitions by delivering a high performing and reliable platform for the warehouse control system (‘WCS’) that ensures every parcel arrives on time.
The biggest challenge
We’re growing like wildfire! And the IT infrastructure in one of our state-of-the-art warehouses needs to be tweaked significantly to cope with the ever-growing order volume. Although we are supported enthusiastically by an external WCS developer, we want to boost ownership and control of the IT infrastructure. But how do we set up a reliable IT infrastructure? How do we make certain the WCS ‘feels at home’ in the new landscape? And how to deploy new solutions without downtime?
Your responsibilities as System Engineer Warehouse Middleware
- You are part of (and help build) the new internal WCS support team, including ways of working, processes, etcetera
- You and the team are in the lead of developing a robust, reliable and scalable infrastructure for the WCS
- You take full, end-to-end ownership over your solutions
- You take pride in automating as much as possible
- You co-create, maintain and improve the middleware for the WCS and support the internal infrastructure teams
- You analyze and mitigate the impact of incidents and issues
- You facilitate and support WCS and related deployments
- You proactively manage our systems, spot opportunities and act upon those
- You liaise with in- and external stakeholders, such as our WCS partner
- You will be on call some nights and weekends: incidents don’t keep office hours ;-)
As System Engineer Warehouse Middleware you will join the brand-new team (~5 direct colleagues) that will claim ownership over a mission-critical warehouse control system. That is not hyperbole, because the middleware you maintain, fine-tune and innovate is key in making our green warehouse deliver upon millions of fulfillment promises. Together with your colleagues, you will design and maintain the middleware and deployment platform that facilitates constant volume growth while ensuring warehouse processes run smoothly and efficiently. You work closely with UK-based WCS developers, but also keep tabs with internal experts, both in IT and the logistics domain. During the initial project, you will report to the project manager, whom you proactively assist. After successful deployment, you will become a member of the run team that keeps the WCS in top condition.
3 reasons why this is(n’t) for you
- Yes, if you have at least 3 years of middleware and IT infrastructural experience, and are at home in Puppet, Windows Server, PowerShell, Ruby and preferably Linux
- Yes, if you combine tech skills with communicative prowess in English and Dutch
- Yes, if you are (at the very least) aware of IT Service management best practices
- No, if you don’t want to be on call for incidents (and the financial compensation doesn’t appeal to you in the slightest)
- No, if you have zero experience with monitoring and metrics
- No, if you don’t want to flexibly switch between working from our Utrecht HQ, our Waalwijk fulfillment center and your own home
Where you’ll work
At the premier online retail tech platform in the Netherlands and Belgium. A platform where 11 million Dutch and Belgian customers can choose from over 30 million articles. A platform that helps roughly 39,000 commercial partners run their business. And a platform that will never be ‘finished’, because bol.com has been reinventing retail since 1999 and we always will be. If there’s a better way to do something, we’re working on it! Together with our customers, partners, and about 2,100 colleagues. And hopefully together with you! As a System Engineer Warehouse Middleware you will work partly in Utrecht and partly in our fulfilment center in Waalwijk.
This imposing, energy-neutral warehouse is home to innovative logistics solutions with a huge tech component. Literally everything is new, so we will focus first on testing and realizing the WCS design. Once that’s done, we will keep pioneering and improving upon our solutions (build IT, run IT, love IT). This means that you will work with a large degree of autonomy – a responsibility that you have to sincerely welcome.
What you get
What you get
A blue and safe landingWe warmly welcome our new colleagues, so they feel home as soon as possible. During your onboarding program, we give you all the ins and outs about bol.com!
Money and more...Working at bol.com is challenging and therefore you get something in return. Besides salary, you will receive a yearly bonus, holiday allowance, holiday entitlement of 29 days, travel allowance, group insurance and more.
How it works
Carefully, we take a look at your application. Within 2 weeks you know if we invite you for an interview.
We call you to set up an interview. And since we’re already talking: feel free to ask any question you may have.
In this first interview we’ll get to know each other. We want to find out more about you. Work experience is interesting, but we also want to find out more about you as a person. Together, we’ll find out if this job is a match made in heaven.
Before the next interview we will ask you to take an online assessment. We’ll also discuss the position and your team in depth.
2 interviews are usually enough to see if it’s a match. And if you agree… well, it’s the beautiful beginning of your career at bol.com :)