How do you make our customers happy?
Bol.com is changing retail to make daily life simpler for 13 million customers. A mission we take on with 46,000 partner sellers. Combines, we offer 32 million articles and reach peak sales of 700 orders per minute (Black Friday, 2020). All of these orders have to be processed quickly and efficiently in highly mechanized warehouses. That requires kilometers of conveyor belts managed by clever IT solutions. In this role, you contribute to our delivery ambitions by realizing a performant and reliable Warehouse Control System. In effect, your job is to make sure we correctly ship those millions of orders!
THE BIGGEST CHALLENGE
Business is booming. To keep up with the growing order volume, we need to radically upgrade the IT component in one of our state-of-the-art warehouses. We can count on enthusiastic support from our external WCS-developer, but we want to increase our sense of ownership and control over the IT infrastructure. So how can we realize a reliable IT infrastructure? How do we create a WCS solution that feels ‘at home’ in this new landscape? And how do we implement new solutions without downtime? We look to you for the answers to these questions, and to embed the solutions in our landscape. Not solo, but as the inspirational captain of a (probably rapidly) growing team!
Your responsibilities AS TEAM LEAD WAREHOUSE MIDDLEWARE
- Manage the new (and growing) internal WCS support team and help determine the way we work, what our processes should look like, and so forth
- Take responsibility with your team for developing a robust, reliable, and scalable WCS infrastructure
- Claim end-to-end ownership of everything the team builds and optimizes
- Coach a team of systems engineers and get internal and external stakeholders on board, including our WCS partner
- Develop a feel for the operation (bye-bye, ivory tower) so that you know what the current issues are and what’s coming down the pike
- Participate in the Management Team for Warehouse IT solutions
- Be available outside of office hours: incidents don’t have a 9-5 mentality ;-)
As Team Lead Warehouse Middleware, you’ll land in a brand-new team (currently ~5 direct colleagues, growth is imminent) that will own the mission-critical Warehouse Control System (WCS). And we’re not using the term ‘mission-critical’ lightly, to inflate how important this role sounds: the middleware your team supports, fine-tunes, and innovates, really will ensure that our ‘green’ (BREEAM-certified) warehouses deliver on millions of customer promises. As Team Lead, you build an enthusiastic team that tackles any issues (and, given the complexity of the domain, issues are inevitable) with guts and gusto. You also commit internal and external stakeholders and take on a range of new infrastructural challenges. How can you ensure the operational readiness of your middleware? How can you (contractually) organize a win-win relationship with our WCS partner and maintain control?
3 reasons why this is(n’t) for you
- Yes, if you have at least 5 years of leadership experience and understand the intricacies of infrastructure and automation tooling
- Yes, if you’re a pro at building win-win relationships with external stakeholders
- Yes, if you can talk shop with IT colleagues and have a knack for making teams stronger, even as those teams grow, and the scope of work expands
- No, if you view your team as an island and don’t build bridges to the rest of the or-ganization
- No, if you’re not a pioneer and expect to land in a placid little environment #easydoesit
- No, if your opinion of suppliers ranges from ‘nagging stakeholders’ when you’re in a good mood to ‘formidable adversaries’ when you get out of bed on the wrong side
Where you’ll work
At the premier online retail tech platform in the Netherlands and Belgium. A platform where 13 million Dutch and Belgian customers can choose from over 32 million articles. A platform that helps roughly 46,000 commercial partners run their businesses. And a platform that will never be ‘finished’, because bol.com has been reinventing retail since 1999 and always will be. If there’s a better way to do something, we’re working on it! Together with our customers, partners, and about 2,400 colleagues. And hopefully together with you. Good to know: as Team Lead Warehouse Middleware, you’ll split your workweek between Utrecht (HQ) and our fulfillment centers in Waalwijk. This is a must because the job requires a feel for the operation, even if that means that you occasionally have to swap your sneakers and baseball cap for safety shoes and a hard hat.
Bol.com, de winkel van ons allemaal (the store of us all). This is the story we work on every day. It is our belief, that this will grow even stronger when many different people add their uniqueness to our story. We invite you to share your story with us. Because when you bring different people together, the most beautiful things will arise.
What you get
What you get
A blue and safe landingWe warmly welcome our new colleagues, so they feel home as soon as possible. During your onboarding program, we give you all the ins and outs about bol.com!
Money and more...Working at bol.com is challenging and therefore you get something in return. Besides salary, you will receive a yearly bonus, holiday allowance, holiday entitlement of 29 days, travel allowance, group insurance and more.
How it works
Carefully, we take a look at your application. Within 2 weeks you know if we invite you for an interview.
We call you to set up an interview. And since we’re already talking: feel free to ask any question you may have.
In this first interview we’ll get to know each other. We want to find out more about you. Work experience is interesting, but we also want to find out more about you as a person. Together, we’ll find out if this job is a match made in heaven.
Before the next interview we will ask you to take an online assessment. We’ll also discuss the position and your team in depth.
2 interviews are usually enough to see if it’s a match. And if you agree… well, it’s the beautiful beginning of your career at bol.com :)