How do you make our customers happy?
Bol.com is changing retail to make daily life simpler for 12 million customers. Together with 42,000 partners who do business on our retail tech platform, we offer 28+million articles and achieve peak sales of 700 orders per minute. In other words, we’re talking about one ginormous platform. And it only operates flawlessly at scale because we give it enough techie love and care. The developers who build and evolve the shop see to that. Would you like to join them?
The biggest challenge
The shop isn’t just one of our most visible customer-facing channels; we’re also continuously innovating it. Exciting stuff, because with our kind of traffic, any bugs will get noticed. With your colleagues in one of our Agile web shop teams, you claim co-ownership of the shop’s codebase and develop basic end-to-end features for your product. Autonomy is a core value because it results in a more robust overall organization! So we don’t just expect you to make your own (technical) decisions; we expect you to own your solutions. In good times and during occasional rough patches, too.
Your responsibilities as Full Stack Developer Shopping Platform?
- You write clean code and help to (unit) test it: build IT – run IT – love IT is our mantra, so your stomping ground is the entire end-to-end cycle
- You apply your internet and software knowledge to scrutinize and improve internet applications
- You are firmly in the feedback loop and want to help your team improve anything and everything in its path
- You go at warp speed when possible, but appreciate that quality and performance take priority over quickly implementing new features
- You devise and promote ways to make (existing and new) solutions scalable and future-proof
- You experiment with cutting-edge tooling, including tooling that you add to the stack
As Full Stack Developer Shopping Platform, you land in the (fun, we promise!) team that develops and implements impactful code for the web shop. The team is characterized by a ‘one for all, all for one’ mindset, but every colleague operates with a large degree of autonomy. Your direct colleagues are our Product Owner, a Front Ender, two Back-end Developers (one of whom doubles as Tech lead), an external Full Stack Developer, and our QA Engineer. We’re currently zooming in on topics like developing a buyblock API, including implementing a cloud-based buyblock service. Good to know: when we say full stack, we mean it. Our tech stack includes:
- Back end: Java, Spring, Object Oriented, Dependency Injection, cloud
3 reasons why this is(n’t) for you
- Yes, if you’re eager to work with Shop product owners, teams, and other stakeholders and help make the most beautiful platform in the Benelux even better
- Yes, if you’re committed to writing top-notch code and feel at home in the entire tech stack
- Yes, if you enjoy working in a team where personal initiative, trust and freedom to experiment go hand in hand
- No, if you think a retail platform is really just a ‘standard’ web shop, and that it doesn’t have much to offer for developers
- No, if you don’t care a hoot about business considerations #letthemeatcode
- No, if you need to be led by the hand and have projects spelled out for you; autonomy and ownership are not your thing
Where you’ll work
At the premier online retail tech platform in the Netherlands and Belgium. A platform where 12 million customers can choose from over 28 million articles. A platform that helps roughly 42,000 commercial partners run their businesses. And a platform that will never be ‘finished’, because bol.com has been reinventing retail since 1999 and we always will be. If there’s a better way to do something, we’re working on it! Together with our customers, partners, and 2,200 colleagues.
Bol.com, de winkel van ons allemaal (the store of us all). This is the story we work on every day. It is our belief, that this will grow even stronger when many different people add their uniqueness to our story. We invite you to share your story with us. Because when you bring different people together, the most beautiful things will arise.
What you get
How it works
Carefully, we take a look at your application. Within 2 weeks you know if we invite you for an interview.
We call you to set up an interview. And since we’re already talking: feel free to ask any question you may have.
In this first interview we’ll get to know each other. We want to find out more about you. Work experience is interesting, but we also want to find out more about you as a person. Together, we’ll find out if this job is a match made in heaven.
Before the next interview we will ask you to take an online assessment. We’ll also discuss the position and your team in depth.
2 interviews are usually enough to see if it’s a match. And if you agree… well, it’s the beautiful beginning of your career at bol.com :)