How do you make our customers happy?
Bol.com is the leading online retail tech platform in the Netherlands and Belgium. Fueled by a pioneering spirit and a customer-centric approach, we make shopping easier each day. As we grow, so do the role and impact of our IT solutions. In order to accelerate IT development and maximize business impact, our scrum teams have transformed into product innovation teams. And ‘traditional’ team managers became Engineering Managers, who assume full ‘technical ownership’ over product success and developer growth. How do you inspire a team of engineers to deliver robust and future-ready tech solutions? What do they need to rise to the coding challenge, so ambitions are fulfilled better and/or sooner? As Engineering Manager you set the stage for an amazing customer experience!
Your responsibilities as Engineering Manager
- You join the leadership team and work closely with the Product Manager and the People Lead: together, you co-create a setting that empowers engineers to the fullest
- You nurture a welcoming, safe, and inspiring work environment that stimulates engineers to shine and grow, both professionally and personally
- You drive effective software development processes that embody and enable the product’s goals, in a way that is scalable, robust, performant, maintainable and fit for future change
- You sign off on an adequate escalation strategy regarding tech issues and concerns
- You help innovation teams grasp product trends and take ownership over product success
- You develop, evangelize, and own the technical (product) strategy, and (in tandem with the Product Manager and People Lead) translate that vision into team goals, processes, and tactics
As Engineering Manager you are a driver of ‘engineering happiness’ and growth. Both on a personal and professional level. You ensure the team always has access to the right tools to take the next step. And the one after that. It’s up to you to position innovation teams for success by creating and cultivating a culture of autonomy, entrepreneurship and continuous improvement. High performing teams deliver high performing code! You align teams with business goals by making sure strategies are realistic and weigh team and business input. For example regarding quality, reliability and future fitness. You coach a total of 12-18 engineers who work on projects that have a quantifiable impact on the internal and external customer experience.
You are the missing link (so glad we found you!) between the business units and IT, who helps transform business requirements into scalable solutions. Your enthusiasm and clear vision help us attain operational excellence. What is the ideal team composition? What new competencies and tooling do we need to realize development ambitions? How should we roll out projects to maximize business value? And what opportunities do new technologies and/or methodologies present? You streamline the technological building blocks while keeping all of your project plates spinning. Even after a new service goes live, you don’t grab a latte and kick up your feet, because we adhere to the you build it, you run it principle and if there’s a hitch, the business will not hesitate to ask for a solution.
3 reasons why this is(n’t) for you
- Yes, because you have a 2-5 year track record of developing Software Engineers and know how to cultivate an continuous improvement culture
- Yes, because you’ve earned your development stripes and know your bits from your bytes
- Yes, because you strongly believe product innovation teams trump ‘traditional’ scrum setups
- Not, because you often feel business stakeholders come from Mars, and should probably stay there
- Not, because you race to the finish line until you see a problem – then you dive for cover
- Not, because you instinctively redirect feedback, questions and criticism to /dev/null
Where you’ll work
What you get
What you get
Attention to youWe are continuously focused on innovation and getting better every day. Because we work in a dynamic environment and our organization is growing rapidly, your development will grow together with bol.com.
Money and more...Working at bol.com is challenging and therefore you get something in return. Besides salary, you will receive a yearly bonus, holiday allowance, holiday entitlement of 29 days, travel allowance, group insurance and more.
A blue and safe landingWe warmly welcome our new colleagues, so they feel home as soon as possible. During your onboarding program, we give you all the ins and outs about bol.com!
How it works
Carefully, we take a look at your application. Within 2 weeks you know if we invite you for an interview.
We call you to set up an interview. And since we’re already talking: feel free to ask any question you may have.
In this first interview we’ll get to know each other. We want to find out more about you. Work experience is interesting, but we also want to find out more about you as a person. Together, we’ll find out if this job is a match made in heaven.
Before the next interview we will ask you to take an online assessment. We’ll also discuss the position and your team in depth.
2 interviews are usually enough to see if it’s a match. And if you agree… well, it’s the beautiful beginning of your career at bol.com :)
Any questions? Contact
Login als medewerker en geniet van:
- Extra content voor je loopbaan
- Écht nieuwe vacatures
- Een betere, toegespitste ervaring