How do you make our customers happy?
Bol.com is changing retail to simplify life for 11 million customers. We are joined on this mission by 39,000 partner sellers that delight customers with additional relevant propositions. All told, we offer 30 million articles on our retail tech platform. And that number is rapidly growing. As is the role and impact of our increasingly complex architecture. Can you get a professionally diffuse and decentralized group of IT architects to effectively work towards realizing a shared set of goals? If so, you’ll boost the performance of our platform and the customer experience!
The biggest challenge
Bol.com has transformed into a product-centric organization to accelerate IT development and maximize business value. Our architects are now part of diverse product teams. They increase innovation speed by creating a clear overview of the application landscape, presenting a solid vision, and providing proactive advice on a myriad of decisions that impact the application landscape. Although our architecture team consists of seasoned professionals, we don’t work together on a daily basis. Which raises the question of how, given this ‘handicap’, to keep everybody on the same page and present a uniform vision for our architecture. How do you stimulate team spirit and cohesion in a team that shares a goal but works spread out across the entire organization?
Your responsibilities as Team Manager Architecture
- You sit on the Architecture Management Team and work closely together with the Director and Lead architects: together, you create an environment in which architects can excel
- You set quarterly targets with the MT and ensure that these themes resonate with the team so that everyone is able and eager to actively contribute
- You cultivate a hospitable, safe and inspiring environment for the team that stimulates the architects to excel and grow, both professionally and personally
- You establish and safeguard effective processes for architecture that help architects to meet product goals
- You formalize the current way of working in a way that respects the autonomous and no-waste architecture culture at bol.com
- You incrementally professionalize the architecture function at bol.com, for example by stimulating knowledge-sharing between architects, both at bol.com and outside of the office
- You determine what education and training programs to make available to architects, and provide advice on career development. You also develop an architecture training program
As Team Manager Architecture, you are the driving force behind our architects’ job happiness and development, personal as well as professional. It’s your role to create opportunities for architects to shine by continuously coaching them and challenging them to make their product or domain more innovative. You’ll coach a total of 12-18 architects across multiple product teams. Virtual leadership! How do you inspire architects to optimize their success as the linking pin between processes, the organization and IT systems? What do they need to realize product ambitions in ways that endure? As Team Manager Architecture, you build and solidify the foundation for a phenomenal customer experience! That means you’re the missing link (so glad we found you!) that lifts the architecture function at bol.com to ever-higher levels, and ensures architects discuss issues among themselves quicker and more easily, thereby optimizing a cohesive landscape and a shared sense of direction.
3 reasons why this is(n’t) for you
- Yes, if you have a solid track record (4+ years) in management positions, including a few years managing architects, and know how to inspire & commit professionals
- Yes, if you’ve earned your spurs as an architect and can (therefore) lucidly explain the difference between solution and enterprise architectures. In English and in Dutch!
- Yes, if you’re passionately convinced that buy-in for architecture decisions should be generated through persuasion and storytelling
- No, if you feel architects require authority to be successful
- No, if you can’t wait to implement traditional architecture methods
- No, if you’re allergic to know-it-alls who know it all (architects)
Where you’ll work
At the premier online retail tech platform in the Netherlands and Belgium. A platform where 11 million Dutch and Belgian customers can choose from over 30 million articles. A platform that helps roughly 39,000 commercial partners run their business. And a platform that will never be ‘finished’, because bol.com has been reinventing retail since 1999, and we always will be. If there’s a better way to do something, we’re working on it! Together with our customers, partners, and about 2,100 colleagues. And hopefully together with you!
What you get
What you get
A blue and safe landingWe warmly welcome our new colleagues, so they feel home as soon as possible. During your onboarding program, we give you all the ins and outs about bol.com!
Money and more...Working at bol.com is challenging and therefore you get something in return. Besides salary, you will receive a yearly bonus, holiday allowance, holiday entitlement of 29 days, travel allowance, group insurance and more.
How it works
Carefully, we take a look at your application. Within 2 weeks you know if we invite you for an interview.
We call you to set up an interview. And since we’re already talking: feel free to ask any question you may have.
In this first interview we’ll get to know each other. We want to find out more about you. Work experience is interesting, but we also want to find out more about you as a person. Together, we’ll find out if this job is a match made in heaven.
Before the next interview we will ask you to take an online assessment. We’ll also discuss the position and your team in depth.
2 interviews are usually enough to see if it’s a match. And if you agree… well, it’s the beautiful beginning of your career at bol.com :)