How do you make our customers happy?
Together with our 46,000 partner sellers, bol.com is changing retail to make daily life simpler for 13 million customers. By now, those customers swipe and click through a catalog of over 32 million articles and generate order peaks of 700 items per minute. And these numbers are rapidly rising. So is the corresponding business impact of our increasingly complex architecture. Can you effectively guide a decentralized and professionally diffuse team of IT architects towards a set of widely shared goals? Then come boost the quality of our platform, as well as the customer and partner experience!
The biggest challenge
We have transitioned into a product organization to accelerate IT development and maximize our tech value. Our architects are now part of product teams and improve innovation speed by promoting their vision of the required architecture, presenting a clear overview of the landscape, and proactively advising on all decisions that impact it. The team members on the architecture team all agree that ‘sharing is caring’, but given the wide range of products we work on, we do not collaborate with everyone daily.
We created the role of Team Manager Architecture in late 2020 to address this and promote the overall uniformity and development of our architecture. The team has continued to grow since then, and as far as our architecture ambitions are concerned: the sky is the limit, so the additional help is very welcome!
Your responsibilities as Team Manager Architecture
- As a member of the Architecture Management Team, you work with the Director, lead architects, and your colleague team manager: together, you create an environment in which architects can – and want to - excel. With your colleague Team Manager, you:
- Cultivate a hospitable, safe, and inspiring environment that stimulates architects to excel and grow, both professionally and personally
- Design and safeguard effective architecture processes so that architects realize the right products
- Standardize and formalize a way of working that respects team members’ autonomy and reflects the no-waste architecture we preach
- Continue to incrementally professionalize the architecture function, e.g., by sharing knowledge between architects, within the broader organization, and outside of bol.com
- Support architects in their career development and determine which education programs and trainings we should offer
- Develop, promote and/or facilitate trainings on architecture
As Team Manager Architecture, you are the driving force behind our architects’ job happiness and growth, both on a personal and professional level. Create success opportunities by continuously coaching and challenging architects to demonstrate the innovative potential of their product or product domain. You will coach 12-18 architects in total across several product teams. Virtual leadership! How do you inspire architects to successfully bridge processes, the organization, and systems? What do architects need to achieve product ambitions, so they endure long term? As Team Manager Architecture, you build and fortify a foundation for outstanding customer experiences! That makes you the missing link (so glad we found you!) that propels bol.com’s architecture function to ever-higher levels, and ensures that architects collaborate with greater ease, so everything is optimally cohesive and aligned.
3 reasons why this is(n’t) for you
- Yes, if you have a solid management track record (4+ years), including a few years in architecture: you know how to inspire and commit experienced architects
- Yes, if you have earned your stripes and can explain the difference between a solution and an enterprise architecture in detail
- Yes, if you are convinced that persuasive arguments and storytelling generate support for architecture decisions
- No, if you think architects need to appeal to their authority to be successful
- No, if you’re rearing to implement traditional architecture methods #i-love-classics
- No, if you’re allergic to know-it-alls (i.e., architects)
Where you’ll work
At the premier online retail tech platform in the Netherlands and Belgium. A platform where 13 million Dutch and Belgian customers can choose from over 32 million articles. A platform that helps roughly 46,000 commercial partners run their businesses. And a platform that will never be ‘finished’, because bol.com has been reinventing retail since 1999 and always will be. If there’s a better way to do something, we’re working on it! Together with our customers, partners, and over 2,400 colleagues. And hopefully together with you. Let’s change retail together to make daily life simpler. Bit by bit, day by day. Bol.com offers an IT-driven work environment in which cross-functional teams are the norm, and maximizing customer value is the shared ambition. The setting is innovative, and autonomy is actively encouraged. Teams install their own code in the production environment, and we embrace experimentation and cutting-edge tech. The atmosphere? Think scale-up on steroids!
Bol.com, de winkel van ons allemaal (the store of us all). This is the story we work on every day. It is our belief, that this will grow even stronger when many different people add their uniqueness to our story. We invite you to share your story with us. Because when you bring different people together, the most beautiful things will arise.
What you get
What you get
A blue and safe landingWe warmly welcome our new colleagues, so they feel home as soon as possible. During your onboarding program, we give you all the ins and outs about bol.com!
Money and more...Working at bol.com is challenging and therefore you get something in return. Besides salary, you will receive a yearly bonus, holiday allowance, holiday entitlement of 29 days, travel allowance, group insurance and more.
How it works
Carefully, we take a look at your application. Within 2 weeks you know if we invite you for an interview.
We call you to set up an interview. And since we’re already talking: feel free to ask any question you may have.
In this first interview we’ll get to know each other. We want to find out more about you. Work experience is interesting, but we also want to find out more about you as a person. Together, we’ll find out if this job is a match made in heaven.
Before the next interview we will ask you to take an online assessment. We’ll also discuss the position and your team in depth.
2 interviews are usually enough to see if it’s a match. And if you agree… well, it’s the beautiful beginning of your career at bol.com :)